Monday, November 2, 2009

Old Natchez Trace love...

i heart the Trace ... after a long drive through the Tennessee countryside, in search of fall foliage photo ops...



i find myself taking pictures just down the road from where i live.



Old Natchez Trace has been my favorite country road since i discovered it almost thirty years ago. after living in several areas around Nashville, i feel extremely blessed to find myself living near this historic trail.



the old trees envelope you as you meander through...this is our path home from downtown Franklin and at night this road is especially charming and comforting. the headlights flickering on an ethereal tunnel leading us home...



bordered on one side by the rising and falling of the ever changing Harpeth River ... it is not uncommon to see deer, squirrel, possum and of course many squirrel. even the most careful driver should tread lightly here. i struck a deer one night and like they say, he truly "came out of nowhere". i haven't been the same since...and always mourne old buck when i drive by the scene.




crusty old bridges wear colors that only time can grow.









across from the river stand stately homes and farms and my very favorite plantation called



Old Town.


behind a charming white picket fence sits this historic home. i don't want to name any names, but oh what the heck...Jimmy Buffet used to live here and now it is owned by raspy singing Kim Carnes (think "Betty Davis Eyes" fame). i have never spotted them here, in fact i have never seen anyone here before...it is said to be haunted.


i just know that i love this place...and this Trace.

and that this lucky chic doesn't have to go far at all for

a photo opportunity...

it's right down the road.


11 comments:

MrLee said...

It sure seems like you're liking that new camera! Beautiful shots Erin.

Carole said...

Erin...I was thinking of you today. You know when they say about businesses~ "are the best kept secret in town" That's what you are in blogland! Your 100 times better than the "popular blogs" out there. sshhh don't tell them! ha-ha. I love that your blog is not full of blogrolls,followers,awards,giveaways,tags,ads etc. just plain unadulterated beauty and music!
Even my husband heard your music and came to look at your blog....and he HATES blogs...mine included! well except for my pictures...he likes those!
Ok enough gushing....I don't want you to blush too much! Just wanted you to know how much I appreciate all you give us! It's truly a place I love to be.
Your friend......Carole

erin's art and gardens said...

believe me i am totally blushing...and humbled. my heart is warm and so so grateful...thank you Carole, thank you. i do this blog for myself and to share some of the beauty and positivity that surrounds me and if i make friends along the way, well that is a huge bonus! you are a dear! you are the bonus.

Maya said...

Truly gorgeous! You'd find me going for long walks on that road.

Julie@beingRUBY said...

HI Erin
Well this is just drop dead gorgeous. Each and every photo fantastic...I envy your beautiful location and your fabulous photography skills..[just to add to your fantastic painting skills]

I think Carole said it all... just simply unadulterated beauty...Actually I didn't even realise you don't have a blogroll!! It's just a shame I can't hear the music... really need to unpack that mac!

Take care dear Erin.. and thanks for bringing beauty into my crazy hectic world!!

xx Julie

debra@dustjacket said...

Oh really enjoyed the photographs and the area you live in. Just wonderful, the colors are gorgeous in the leaves. I love the drive home with the trees leaning inwards, it would look magical at night.

xoxo

Julie@beingRUBY said...

Forgot to say... LOVE YOUR NEW BANNER

Amy said...

All your photos are great!

Old Natchez Trace looks really nice. I'd love to drive home through that everyday.

Thank you so much for visiting No. 15. I'm so glad you like my photos. It's only been a week but I already miss all the colored leaves on the trees.

From the Old InkWell said...

Hi Erin, so glad you came by to see me. It's nice to know another Franklin gal. You are now my new photography mentor. :=) Love Love your photography! WOW! I feel like I've found a hidden treasure. I do wish you had a follower's list so I could join and be prompted to see your posts as they come along. Oh well, I'll have to find some way to remind myself. Have a great day.

Bill said...

Hi Erin,
I found you today through Marsha's Mpressions, and I'm glad I did. Your photographs are amazing!
I've been on the Old Natchez Trace for brief stretches, but definitely want to take a longer drive one day (all the way to Natchez I hope!).

Very much enjoyed this post. I hope our paths cross again very soon.

Bill @ Affordable Accoutrements

Laura @ 52 FLEA said...

Hi Erin,
What a beautiful place to live and gorgeous photographs! Your artistic eye has captured details that seem to pop and come to life in your photographs. Thank you for sharing!
Take care,Laura